KINGS ACADEMY MODEL
KA model addresses the systemic challenges that affect black males through a yearlong After School, Saturday & Summer enrichment process. The model features a full curriculum of academic remediation, language immersion, social & emotional learning modules and recreational activities.
KA is designed for boys and young men of color, grades 1st through 8th.
- Boys To Kings (1st-5th Grades) is a specifically designed for boys grades 1st-5th with a focus on mathematics, literacy, and critical thinking.
- Young Kings is specifically designed for grades 6th-8th with a focus on character development, violence prevention, and self-efficacy.
- Empowerment: To empower young men and boys of color by fostering self-confidence, self-awareness, and a strong sense of identity.
- Leadership: To develop leadership skills, including communication, decision-making, teamwork, and problem-solving abilities.
- Education: To support academic success and promote a culture of learning.
- Mentorship: To provide positive role models and mentors who can guide participants on their journey to success.
- Community Engagement: To encourage active involvement in community service and civic engagement.
- Wellness: To promote physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
- Leadership Skills Development: The program will focus on developing essential leadership skills such as communication, teamwork, problem-solving, decision-making, and goal setting.
- Character Building: Young leaders will be encouraged to cultivate positive character traits such as empathy, integrity, resilience, and responsibility.
- Community Engagement: Participants will be actively engaged in community service projects, fostering a sense of social responsibility and civic engagement.
- Confidence and Self-Esteem: Through various activities and challenges, students will build self-confidence and develop a healthy self-esteem.
- Critical Thinking: The program will nurture critical thinking skills, encouraging students to analyze situations, make informed decisions, and think creatively.
- Effective Communication: Students will learn to express themselves effectively, listen actively, and communicate with clarity and empathy.
- Academic Support: Tutoring sessions and study groups are offered to help participants excel academically. The program also provides access to resources like college and scholarship information.
- Career Exploration: Workshops and guest speakers introduce participants to various career options and provide guidance on educational pathways and professional development.
- Community Service: Participants engage in community service projects to develop a sense of responsibility and give back to their communities.
- Cultural Awareness: Celebrate diversity and cultural heritage through cultural events, discussions, and awareness-building activities.
- Leadership Workshops: Regular workshops covering topics such as communication skills, conflict resolution, time management, and goal setting. These workshops are interactive and encourage participants to apply their learning in real-life situations.
- Mentorship Program: Each participant is paired with a mentor who provides guidance, support, and a positive role model. Mentors help participants set goals and work towards achieving them.
- Parent and Family Involvement: The program will actively involve parents and families to create a holistic support system for the participants.
- Wellness and Self-Care: Promote physical health through sports and fitness activities and emphasize the importance of mental and emotional well-being.
- Submission of completed K.A. Application
- Submission of most recent report card, progress report, and or transcript
- Parent & child interview
- Parent commit completing the Parent Leadership Academy